Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lost People Matter to God


Tony and Susanne Sivewright planted Fourways Community Church in the fast growing vibrant city of Fourways, Johannesburg in 2000. They serve on the NCMI apostolic team and work mainly into Africa and Europe. They have a passion to see the lost come to Christ and have seen many saved and prodigals return.

Church planting! Well, after 10 years I still don't have a clue! The fact that He has used me/us to co-labor with Him is to this day very sobering and overwhelming.

What we did have when we planted Fourways Community Church just over 10 years ago here in Johannesburg, South Africa was 1.) A love for God, and 2.) A love for people.

We have loved the journey as we've seen heaps and heaps of people come to know Jesus. Nothing excites me as much as this. Transformed lives are the 'signs and wonders' we at Fourways have made a priority to pursue.

I once heard Bill Hybels say 'Lost people matter to God therefore they should matter to us.'
This was before we planted and has been embedded in our hearts and has gripped us ever since.

I don't know if there's anything more important - 'Jesus came to seek and save the lost' and when He returned to the Father He left the mandate with us. One of my favorite Scriptures is John 17:18 "As You sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world."

I know that Jesus didn't command us to go and make converts but rather to make disciples. However let me remind us that a true disciple begins at conversion. We need converts to make into disciples/Jesus followers.

I also believe a healthy church needs to be led by the Holy Spirit, and needs to have good theology, vibrant small groups, Spirit filled worship etc.

I also believe that no one comes to Jesus unless the Father who sent Jesus draws him. (John 6:44) The exciting and mysterious thing is that He uses us in the process. WE are called to preach the good news that Jesus came as our substitute to take the punishment our sins deserved and make a way for us to be reconciled back to the Father.

Of course in all we do we're totally dependent and reliant on the working and presence of the Holy Spirit, however I do think there is 'stuff' we can do to position ourselves and our churches to better reach those that are far from God.

Hopefully in my next post we can look at a few of these.


No comments:

Post a Comment